Project Spotlight: Horicon School District
As students finish their first semester of the school year, C.D. Smith is looking to make the honor roll as far as progress on this $26.5 million project goes.
The project consists of a high school remodel, administrative offices, secure entrances, locker rooms, HVAC (clover loop) system updates and minor cosmetic classroom updates. A 91,000 SF addition includes learning space for 4K – 5th grade elementary students. The addition includes a gymnasium, kitchen, library, classrooms and secure entrances.
In December, the multi-purpose room featuring wrestling mats and batting cages was completed and is currently occupied, just in time for wrestling season to begin. The new gymnasium and cafeteria will be turned over this April so the old kitchen can be renovated into the new District office. Additionally, the project includes a maintenance shed, which was completed in December 2019. It includes front office space and storage for the District. The project is scheduled to be complete in August 2020 before the start of the 2020-2021 school year.
C.D. Smith collaborated with Bray Architects to create a concept unique to Horicon Marsh, designing the project to feature natural patterns, shapes and colors native to the area. The concept assigns an ecosystem to each of the elementary school’s four-grade level “neighborhoods.” Each neighborhood will have dedicated classrooms and small group collaboration spaces surrounding a common area.
Here’s the nitty gritty:
- Exterior brickwork is complete
- K2 – 5 area ceilings are installed
- Elementary addition concrete block wall has been seal-coated
- Gym walls are painted
- Kitchen is painted with hoods installed mid-January
- Drywall is almost complete in cafeteria
- 3-station gym hoops are scheduled to be delivered late January
- Finishing block walls for corridors and classrooms January
- Kitchen flooring will be installed early February
- Drywalling throughout the addition will be finished early February
- Gym floor will be installed in March